When I set out to makeMegan Nielsen’s Dawn Jeans I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I searched long and hard through the hashtag on Instagram for like bodied people with little to no success. I put out a call for people to share with me their journeys mainly to get the general response back “haven’t made them, but let me know what you can find”. So in the end I totally just went for it!
I started by grading between my measurements to form a base pattern for testing. I was a 14 at the waist and an 18 at the hip. Easy enough right (Megan actually has a tutorial on her blog on how to do this). I then also opted to install the zip fly with the tutorials on Megan’s blog as I don’t care much for button flys. I whipped them almost completely up only to find I could hardly breath when they where on (cue sucking it in to get them done up!).
Im not sure if you can see in the above photo, but the pockets also actually pulled and where poking out the top. So back to the drawing board it was. It was suggested that maybe I should make the pocket bags a little wider so that they where closer to the center, so I gave that a whirl and added 3 inches to the width. Worked a bloody treat!
I then re graded the whole pattern. I made the back yoke a 14 at the top and graded it straight out to a 16 towards the bottom, then started the back pants at a 16. And for the front I graded from a 14 at the waist and bought the grading out a lot sooner so that it reached an 18 before the hips. There is a small section just below the hips (amongst the thigh area) where I bought the pattern right out to a 20 on both sides. That all makes sense in my head, so I hope it makes sense to read…
This all worked a treat. Just having that smidge more room between the hips and waist made them so much more comfortable. I can even stick my hands in my pockets now! I was actually terrified that I would have to do some form of adjustment but luckily for now this did the trick! Maybe when I get a little more confident with pants making I can work out what kind of adjustment I should have actually made, but while it’s working I won’t mess with it!
There is a small section behind the knee that bags a little, but as I’ve already put all the top stitching into this set I’m not going to bother with making any more adjustments. I also maybe cut the hole for the button a little wide and am hoping to the high heavens that the button won’t come out while I am away on holidays – Don’t fear I went straight out and bought a belt hole punch so this never happens again.
All in all I found this pattern super simple! I may have even cut out a set of wide leg in a cord! If you fear pants fitting this is a great pattern to start with!